Here’s a quick update on what Josh and I have done to our MGA since it arrived at the garage. Just keeping the site running takes up most of our time, but we have been able to spend a few afternoons in the shop this past week. We now have the body pulled off the frame and mounted on a wooden dolly. We’ve also started cleaning parts and test fitting the body panels.
Take a look at that frame! Lynn had a professional make sure everything was straight before painting it. The rear brakes were then rebuilt and he even put wax paper between the drums and rims. The suspension has been rebuilt too and we were surprised to find disc brakes out front! We haven’t taken the time to figure out if the parts came from a 1600 or an MGB, but either way it’s a welcome upgrade.
Our dolly isn’t anything fancy, but it works. The frame is made out of four 2x4s that were screwed together to form a square. We added a couple of blocks at one end to line up with the rear body mounts. We also added some big wheels to make it easier to move around. After sliding our frame under the body we attached it with lag bolts through the holes in the mounts.
After that, we decided to take Doug and Alan’s advice and test fit the body panels before finishing the bodywork. But, first we had to figure out which bolts went where. Luckily, a couple of old workshop manuals came with our project.
With the parts manual we were able to lookup the parts numbers and then we used this handy reference to decode those numbers. Even though Lynn was very organized when he took this car apart, I’m starting to think we might be further ahead with a hardware kit from Todd Clarke.
While Josh was doing that, I thought we would test out another bit of advice that was left in the comments. Jimbosidecar mentioned that he liked to use Pine Sol to clean up carbs before taking them apart. Our SUs were pretty dirty, so I thought we’d give it a try.
So, I took the carbs off the manifold and stuck them in a plastic bin. Then a couple of bottles of generic Pine Oil were poured in. We will see how they look in a couple of days. Even if it doesn’t work, the pine scent in the garage isn’t too bad. Stay tuned for more MGA updates!