1 of 1? 1974 Olds Cutlass Indy 500 Pace Car

The 1974 Hurst/Olds was intended to be the pace car at the Indianapolis 500 that year. Oldsmobile even built replicas for sale to the public. But somehow a miscue must have been made because Indy needed convertibles for use on the track. We’re told this Salon edition is one of four built for executive use and the only one with the W-30 455 V8 option. With just 7,600 miles on the clock, this special auto is said to look and drive like new. Located in Chicago Heights, Illinois, this Olds is available here on eBay where the bidding has reached $15,000 without triggering the reserve.

When GM’s mid-size cars were redesigned in 1973, they went with the new “Colonnade” styling that replaced true hardtops. At the same time, convertibles were discontinued. So, when the Hurst/Olds was revived in 1974, there was only the coupe to apply hardware and graphics to. The Hurst/Olds was selected by the Indianapolis Speedway to pace the 500 that year, but when it was discovered that no droptops would be made, the Delta 88 convertible was used on the track. The 92 copies of Hurst/Olds sent to the racetrack were used to tote around celebrities and other guests.

According to the seller, who has paperwork to back up the history of this Oldsmobile, there were four of the J-code Salons built for use as executive cars associated with the whole Indy endeavor. This is said to be the only built with the W-30 option, giving it a 455 cubic inch V8 with a 4-barrel carburetor that produced 230 horsepower, dual exhaust, and a Th-400 automatic transmission. This car has every option in the book, including a moon roof, stereo with an 8-track player (gadzooks!), and factory A/C which doesn’t blow cold air right now.

We’re told this low-mileage automobile is 90% original. The other 10% must consist of replaced parts such as the tires, battery, alternator, and master brake cylinder. It wears its factory paint (there may be a splotch on the driver’s front fender), and the red interior is immaculate. For the past 48 years, this car has been treated like a collector’s item. A care package will come with the sale including the original window sticker, build sheet, and owner’s manual. If this is truly a one-of-a-kind automobile, you must wonder how high the reserve must be to break through.

Comments

  1. PaulG

    Really nice car that is even more unusual with the red interior.
    Best of luck to seller and buyer!

    Like 10
  2. Dave, Australia

    Excellent write up Russ,
    The gold paint on white is stunning. Is reminiscent of the 74 NASCAR Charger that ran at Le Man’s.
    Red interior just incredible.

    Like 4
  3. OldSchool Muscle

    I like this ride!! Never see these body or graphics designs again..
    Today is just trash… all look the same no personality!!!

    Like 5
  4. Joe Padavano

    One-of-none. Exactly ZERO Supremes were made into H/Os in the 1974 model year. The only executive car was the four door H/O specifically built for Speedway owner Tony Hulman, and that car is accounted for. This car has been for sale for a while and the seller is unwilling to change his story despite tons of documentation to prove it is false. The decals on the doors don’t even match the ones used on the real H/Os that year. Danger Will Robinson!

    Like 12
  5. Ed Casala

    If that’s the real deal, great price and even better investment I am thinking. Wonder what it will top out at price wise? Good luck.

  6. David Sichko

    As commented above, no chance this Olds is the genuine deal. One need to go no further than to ask Why would a Hurst modified Olds from this era not feature it’s signature Dual/Gate shifter?

    • Joe Padavano

      Well, funny thing about that actually… For the 1974 cars, the W25 cars with the 350 motors didn’t get a dual gate. This was the first and only time that a Hurst/Olds was built without a Hurst shifter. Ironically, every single 455-powered 1974 H/O DID come with a dual gate, unlike the car in this thread. Even more ironic is that factory-built 455 Supremes were pretty rare in 1974. This car would probably be worth more if it were original and not a poorly done fake H/O.

      Like 3
  7. David Sichko

    WOW! That’s is an extraordinary bit of trivia! Thank you for providing that insightful information Joe!
    In my younger years, I actually parted out a black ’74 H/O. Had it towed out from “behind a barn”! I remember finding the H/O digital tac tossed under the driver side bucket. I hooked it up & it was completely functional! Very neat find indeed!

    Like 2
  8. PRA4SNW PRA4SNW Member

    SOLD for $36,100.
    Obviously, the buyer wasn’t a Barn Finds reader.

Leave A Comment

RULES: No profanity, politics, or personal attacks.

Become a member to add images to your comments.

*

Keep me in the conversation via email. Or subscribe without commenting.